Friends, this weekend...wow. The immigration ban that took effect over the weekend has left so much chaos in its wake. Here's what we can do to combat it:
1. #deleteuber. I installed Lyft instead.
2. Donate to the ACLU, International Refugee Assistance Project, National Immigration Law Center, and the National Lawyers Guild.
3. If you have children, here are some great book lists if you're trying to talk with them about social justice or the refugee crisis.
4. Indivisible is co-hosting a planning call with Asian Americans Advancing Justice (AAAJ), the ACLU, International Refugee Assistance Project (IRAP), and the National Immigration Law Center (NILC-IJF) tonight (Monday) at 9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific. You can sign up for the call and details here.
5. If your CEO is on Trump's Advisory Council, call or write them a letter, asking them to denounce the ban.
6. Donate to the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
7. If you're in the U.K., sign the petition against Donald Trump entering the country for an official state visit.
8. Call your governors. If they haven't yet made a strong statement against the ban, call all of their offices and encourage that they do. I found it helpful to pass along to the staffer that I knew my governor was up for re-election in 2018, and he should take a stand on this issue now.
9. Call your Senators. Call your State Representatives in Congress. Call them to say thank you for taking a stand, or encourage them to take a stand against the ban, or ask them to change their view if they support the ban. You can find out their position in this google document.
10. Finally, something NPS related: sign up to join the Alternate National Park Service: https://altnps.org/, and consider purchasing their bumper stickers once they become available.
As Teddy Roosevelt said, "Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are."
Much love to you all, stay safe,